Is it me or does everyone feel let down when it comes to snack time. I know I’m usually starving by that 3:00-4:00 pm hour and always looking for some thing quick but healthy to hold me over till I can get dinner on the table. Every time I go to look for something it’s either got a 20 minute prep time or what we all think is healthy is actually not, once we read the label.
First thing I usually look at is the list of ingredients and then the amount of sugar usually I put most things right back at the store after looking at those 2 things. Granola bars tend to be the worst! We think we’re doing some thing good for our bodies and having a healthy option. Not usually the case! So I started playing this weekend and made some raw ones. Holy Moly! Watch out for these you may not leave them alone! I can’t stay out of the freezer now!
Best thing about these… you can make a large batch and store them in the freezer forever! Well if you can get them to last that long! 😉
- 1 1/2 C gluten free oats (I used Irish oats because that’s all I had)
- 4 dates soaked and pitted
- 1 C almond- sliced or chopped
- 1/4 C dried cherries
- 1/4 C local honey or maple syrup
- 1 C sunflower butter
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut milk
- In a baking pan-line with wax or parchment paper
- In a bowl mix oats, almonds, half of the cherries.
- In a food processor blend dates until it makes a paste. Save some of the soaking water and add a few drops to keep it like a paste if it gets too sticky.
- Add honey, sunflower butter, and date paste to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the baking pan and smooth out. Place another sheet of parchment/wax paper on top and press down with the bottom of a glass or your palm to make it level.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cherries on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the cacao powder and the coconut milk and whisk until blended. Pour on top of cherries and oat mix in the pan.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to let it set and harden.
- When you’re ready pull them out and cut into bars or squares. Enjoy!
- Place them in an air tight container and store the rest in the freezer until you get that next hankering!