Lately, I have been so sick of making the same things for dinner… chicken, pasta, bean tacos, fish on Fridays because it’s Lent, food limitations for the sake of the baby, no dairy for my little guy, it is starting to make cooking a bit of a drag lately. So I asked the kids what they wanted for dinner, they said cereal! I never let them have cereal for dinner unless someone is sick. They actually would rather eat “organic fiber o’s” for dinner, just because it’s breakfast foods.
So we mixed it up for a Monday night and I dug through the pantry and yelled out what about pancakes! They were racing into the kitchen and fighting over who got to help cut the bananas and who got to add the coconut to the cakes so here’s our new recipe to share with you for those nights you need something fast and quick and something a little bit more sinful while mixing it up and making breakfast for dinner!
Ingredients: Makes about 10 medium sized thick pancakes
- 1 1/2 C of Gluten-free pancake mix. (Trader Joe’s has a great one!) ( You can also make your own flour mixes, but a box already together is way faster and cheaper! Just read the label for good quality ingredients)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C of water (may need a little extra if it’s too thick)
- 1/4 C of Coconut oil-melted down
- 2 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1 Banana sliced thinly
- 1/2 C unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp Cacao Nibs
- Coconut oil or spray for the pan while cooking
- In a bowl add flour mix, eggs, water, cacao powder, coconut oil and mix well. Add more water if it seems too thick.
- Preheat and oil pan so pancakes will not stick. Keep heat on medium once the pan has warmed up.
- Scoop in pancake mix to the pan, whatever size you would like. Remember these will be thicker so make them a little smaller.
- Top with a pinch of chia seeds, coconut, and cacao nibs, and 2-3 slices of banana. Once the pancake begins to bubble you can flip them so they cook all the way through.
- Stack them high on a plate add some fresh berries to the side or top with a few more banana slices and a little syrup if you wish.
- Dig in and enjoy!