Jams and Jellies can be loaded with tons of refined sugar and aspartame sugar substitutes. Ewww! And making your own jam or jelly can be a huge process that takes hours. Believe me I’ve done them all from peach to fig and I’ve spent hours and hours in the kitchen sterilizing, washing, cooking down the berries, filling up the jars, and sealing them for yummy spreads. But it takes way too long! Like way too long!
Now there is a super fast way, add a little honey to sweeten up the berries or leave it out, it’s totally your call! It takes maybe 15 minutes and you can store it in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. If it will last that long! Use it for kid’s sandwiches, spread for crackers, add it to your gourmet cheese plates, use it for topping on yogurt or ice cream!!! Did I say yum!!!
- 1/2 pound blackberries (fresh if in season-other wise use frozen)
- 1/2 pound raspberries (same as above)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or for a citrusy zing use lemon juice!
- 2 teaspoon local honey (optional)
- 3 Tablespoon chia seeds
- Wash any fresh berries. If you using frozen add to a pot and cook on low to bring to a soft boil. Make sure to continue to stir so it won’t burn the bottom or stick.
- Then reduce heat and simmer, continue to stir. Make sure to mash the berries or leave a little chunky, if you’d rather have a “chutney” consistency.
- Add honey and chia seeds and stir well.
- Pull from heat and let jam cool.
- Add vanilla extract or lemon juice once cooled and mix well again.
- Spoon into a clean jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks!