Wow! Summer Solstice is here and gone already! Summer is in full swing! Now, if we could only slow it down! My family and I decided to celebrate summer solstice this year a little different. It was a cloudy day at the beach so we headed to mini golf,(Luckily everyone still has their teeth having a 2 year old with a golf club!)Then we grabbed all the ingredients for this healthy dish, made homemade ice cream sundaes, and we finished the night off running up and down the streets in our pajamas chasing and catching fireflies. I know the kids were having a blast, but I think I actually had more fun!!! I didn’t really want to cook or spend a ton of time in the kitchen, but wanted something hearty and filling, so I threw together this little recipe, it’s really all we needed to feel full and satisfied…well the sundaes helped with that too! 😉
This recipe is perfect for a quick and healthy summer dish when you’re strapped on time, not in the mood to cook, or just want something lite in the heat of the summer!
- French Baguette
- Fresh curly organic kale- washed and de-stemmed
- 1/2 can Cannellini beans
- 1 clove garlic-minced
- small chunk of Italian Pecornio cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice baguette into crostini size bites. In a hot skillet add olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and stir together. Place bread onto infused oil in pan until bread becomes crusty. About 3-5 minutes. Make sure to do both sides! Set aside
- In the same pan add a little more olive oil and add Kale. Saute kale till is starts to wilt, add in cannellini beans. Mash beans a little to absorb the oils. Just cook until they begin to warm.
- On a plate stack, bread, kale and bean mixture. Top with chunks of Pecorino, season with salt and pepper. And serve.
Quick, easy, filling, healthy, and perfect for a summer night of chasing fireflies!!