In honor of heart healthy month we decided to throw out there some great ways to keep your heart healthy this year. Heart disease in the number one cause of death in men and women. It accounts for 40% of all U.S. deaths, that’s more than all cancers combined!!! And 40% of people having a heart attack die before they ever reach the hospital! That’s scary!! Most of us know someone who has a heart attack or heart condition, so here’s our list of ways to make sure you keep your heart as healthy as you can.
Know your risk factors:
- Smoking and second-hand smoke
- High blood pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Being inactive
- Genetics and family history
- Age/Wear and Tear
What you can do to fight back:
- Eat Right
- See the Doctor often for physicals, blood tests, and blood pressure screenings.
- Go to the Dentist-bacteria on your teeth can get into the bloodstream. (Make sure to go every 6-12 months)
- Get Active-Get Moving
- Reduce Stress
- Drink More Water
- Cut Back on Sugar
- Learn Portion Size
- Fill Your Plate with Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Reduce Sodium-Mostly found in processed foods
- Laugh More.
We’ve always heard laughing is the best medicine. Laughing relaxes and expands blood vessels to protect the heart. It boosts our endorphins and our immune system. So, maybe laughter is the best medicine! Here’s to healthy hearts and making better choices for ourselves and our families in 2014.