WOW! It’s April 20th already? I swear time goes faster and faster everyday before we know it will be football season again! 😉 Which is my favorite time of year but of course I love summer too! Although Monday is the actual Earth Day almost everyone celebrates over the weekend and holds events in honor of Mother Nature. Earth Day is always the perfect day to get outside and give back. Even though we should be taking care of her all year round and taking care of the planet that gives us so much, we often take things for granted.
This past year Mother Nature seems to have been pretty angry and giving us a taste our own medicine with lots of flooding, devastating hurricanes, and multiple dumpings of massive snow. Frigid winds and below freezing temperatures have wreaked havoc not only on this country but across the world. So why not for at least one day this year, give back and take care of our community, state, country, and planet. Otherwise I’m afraid she’ll continue to get more pissed off and we’ll be in serious trouble and it may be too late by then.
So this weekend, take sometime to get outside and do something to get back in touch with the soil, air, sun, tress, food, family, and community. It can be as simple as stopping on the side of the road to clean up the trash on a stretch of highway to as complex as starting a community garden.
Need some ideas?? Here’s a few!
- Plant a tree or beautify a public area with flowers and plants
- Reduce, reuse, recycle- start today!
- Avoid the grocery stores this weekend and shop at farmers markets/produce stands
- Buy local/ support your community
- Start a vegetable garden
- Donate your time to help your local zoo, park, church, or school (They always hold events for Earth Day)
- Go to a farm-to-table dinner
- Involve the Kids! Make crafts likes bird houses or bird feeders.
- Learn more about the environment visit local watersheds, coastal bays, national or state parks.
- Buy environmental friendly products
- Go organic!
Hope some of these ideas help you enjoy your day, start something new, learn something fun, make a change, and give back today! Happy Earth Day 2013!