It’s that season again!! One of my favorite times of the year…blood oranges are in abundance!! I love these oranges! I don’t know if it’s their gorgeous color, how unbelievably juicy they are, or if it’s because most of them are grown in Italy! (I have a small obsession with Italy!) 🙂
Blood oranges are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins A and C, and calcium which is necessary for strong, healthy teeth and bones. Blood oranges are also an anti-inflammatory, helping to prevent cancer, diabetes, and bacterial infections.
Here’s my recipe for one of my favorite things to eat!! I usually eat the whole thing without sharing! 🙂
- 2 bunches of watercress
- 2 blood oranges
- 2 Tbs of pine nuts
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 shallot- minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- a handful of fresh basil-finely chopped
- 1/4 C of avocado oil
- pinch of gourmet sea salt
- pinch of fresh ground pepper
- To prepare oranges, cut off both ends, and cut between the peel and the orange to remove peel and pith completely. Cut oranges crosswise into 1⁄4-inch slices, place in bowl and set aside.
- Arrange watercress in a large bowl and top with sliced avocado, oranges, and pine nuts. In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, avocado oil, shallot, basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Pour any remaining juice from oranges into the vinaigrette bowl. Whisk to combine and drizzle it on!!