Energy! We all want it, it’s like a drug, we need more and more of it just to make it through the hustle and bustle of every day. But most times we search for it in the most counter productive ways, extra cups of coffee, grabbing a candy bar, drinking more soda, even grabbing fast food because we’re on a time crunch. All these methods leave us with major sugar crashes, hungary, and completely drained by the end of the day. Reaching for these energy alternatives also leave your body craving for more.
Here are 5 healthy ways to get the energy you need to get you through your busy day.
- Exercise- Get up and get some exercise, go to the gym on your lunch break, take an early morning run, and get your endorphins going. Exercise boosts your mood
and your energy level. Do something you love to keep you motivated, if you don’t like the gym, then walk on the beach or in the park, join a community softball or volleyball team, or take a yoga or boot camp class. Mix it up to keep your momentum and interest.
- Drink lots of water- The body needs water to transport oxygen to your cells. The more you stay hydrated the better your body will keep you focused and moving. The best way to know if you’re getting enough water is to do this simple equation. Take your weight and divide it by 2. Then divide it again by 8 and that is the number of glasses you need to drink a day. For example: I weight 135-Lets say for easier math we round it up to 140, divided in half is 70. Divide 70 by 8 (oz glasses) gets us close to 9. So I have to drink 9 glasses of water a day to just stay hydrated.
- Eat smaller meals- Be a grazer, eat smaller, healthier meals all day. Eat every couple of hours to keep your energy levels up and your metabolism burning. Letting yourself get hungary only lowers your blood sugar and causes your energy to come to a crashing halt. Choose fruit, nuts, cheese, salads, and whole grains.
- Do something you love- (check my blog from yesterday for more in-depth information on this topic) Find something that makes you happy, something you get excited about. Happiness makes you have more motivation and energy. Getting excited and looking forward to something special is always a great way to raise you mood.
- Get outside & get fresh air- We all spend way too much time inside, watching tv, working, and playing on our computers, these will definitely drain your energy! Get outside, go for a walk, get some fresh air, find an activity in the sunlight. Sunlight is a natural mood booster, it triggers the serotonin levels in your brain to make you feel happy. It’s summer there is no better time to be outside!
Hopefully, these ideas will help you get through your day and elevate your energy levels. Find some down time and take care of yourself and your body’s needs and your guaranteed to have more energy and feel better.