We all have bucket lists, aspirations, and inspirations to do everything our heart’s desire before our time ends. Summer seems to have its own timeline and deadline that quickly approaches as it speeds by. So why not savor all that precious time and jot down a “summer bucket list” of everything you’ve always wanted to do, every event you don’t want to miss, even hit up all the bistros, breweries, and bars your body can handle.
Summer bucket lists are supposed to be fun, nurturing to your soul, and obviously achievable. So enjoy some of my ideas, include them in your list, and feel free to share any of your own!
- Enjoy the beach at sunrise: Go for a run, mediate, or just watch the colors in the
sky change as you breathe in the salt air and listen to the waves crash on the shore.
- Try something new: Learn to surf, go kayaking, take a “SUP” stand up addle board lesson, or do Pilates or Yoga on the beach.
- Stare up at the sky: Learn the constellations and the names of the full moons for the summer skies. Find Venus, discover the North Star, or catch an eclipse.
- Pick your own and stock up: Find all the pick your own farms in your area, pick till you can’t pick anymore and stock up for the winter. Eat all the peaches, blueberries, raspberries, nectarines, and watermelons you can stand.
- Get outside: Go to a concert or music festival. See an outdoor movie on the beach or in a park if you’re in the city. Even try a drive-in if you have one in your area. Or have a picnic on a farm, in a field, or on a boat.
- Push your fear factor: Go sky diving, parasailing, or off shore fishing.
- Spend the night out: Go camping, roast smores, sleep in a tent, and chase fireflies.
- Learn to can and preserve: Make your own tomato sauce, jams and jellies, even your own spices and rubs.
- Grow something extra special in the garden: Try something new in your garden. Something you’ve never tried before like artichokes, squash blossoms, figs, or capers (This is my something extra special this year!)
- Keep a journal and take pictures: Document everything! You never know when inspiration will hit you again. Take lots of pictures; make a scrapbook of your
infamous summer. Pictures last a lifetime!
- Buy local & support your farmers: Try something you normally don’t buy, be proud to give back to your community, find a new recipe for all your new goodies.
- Eat something exotic: Try raw oysters, pick your own Maryland crabs, eat She-crab soup, try seared Ahi-Tuna, or experience fried green tomatoes or seaweed salad.
- Reread your favorite book: Simple enough!
- Add color and fragrance to your home: Stock up on cut flowers. Sunflowers, Hydrangeas, Gardenias and Ferns. Try different herbs for fragrance. Rosemary, Lavender, Lemon Verbena, or Chocolate Mint!
- Stay salty all day: Take a dip in the ocean, bay, or river. Let the salt dry on your skin or build up in your hair. After a long day in the salty air, throw a beach bash-grill lobsters and shrimp on an open fire in the sand. Enjoy summer cocktails as you watch for that rare, beautiful flash as the sun dips behind the horizon.